Click here to get to my essay blog!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Katniss's Letter Home~

post to 'The Hunger Games'-by Suzanne Collins

Something very different has happened in the Hunger Games this year. When only 6 tributes are left, the game-makers let each tribute write one letter to any person that they wanted, back home. The games have stopped for 2 hours, to let the tributes write the letter, calm down a little bit and then get their head back in the game, from everything that has happened so far. When Katniss hears that this is really happening, she knows exactly who she is going to write it to--her younger sister, Prim. The letter written to Prim was like this…

My dearest Prim~

I have missed you very dearly. I am here playing these games as hard as I can, just to keep my promise that I made to you.That I would never quit trying and that I would play until I die--for you. I hope and pray every day that you and mom are still doing ok, and that Gale is too, keeping his promise with supplying our family with food while I am gone.

I hope that you and mother are still getting along ok, and have not starved yet. Another thing is that I hope mom is still getting along with her business of making medicine and helping people who have gotten hurt in the mines. Here in the Hunger Games, people have been dying all over the place. I have even met someone who reminded me of you. I became her ally so that we could get around easier. She was 12 years old and her name was Rue. Her specialty was that she was able to move around very quietly so that other tributes were not able to tell she was even there, which is why I made her my ally, and I protected her from other tributes as she did for me. We even set up a trap to burn the entire food that the careers have in the cornucopia. We successfully succeeded but the saddest part of the games that I have witnesses was moments after I burned it and was back to meet her. I went back to our meeting spot to find she wasn't there, I searched farther. As soon as I heard her scream, I ran to her. To find out the boy from district one got there before me, and before I could even throw a rock, he stabbed Rue, and I then stabbed him. Rue then died in my arms from the spearhead in her. I fight for her now, knowing she would have wanted me to win if she couldn't.

I bet you are growing up, and acting like a young lady now . Seeing you have to be the person in the house to go out, get food from the Hob, and even ask Gale for food. I bet that you are helping as much as you can for me, knowing that I am fighting for the family. So, you have to take care of mom. I thank you very dearly and know that I love you with all of my heart. Please do three things for me while I am gone. First, tell mom this for me. Tell her 'I love her so very much and miss her with all of my heart. I am trying my best to win and then get home as soon as I can. Again, I love her so much and am trying my hardest' Second thing, please tell Gale this for me. 'I miss him very much. I think of him every day when I am out in the woods hunting, knowing that if I was doing this back home, he would be right next to me. I know that he is taking good care of you and mom and that he is doing it for me. Keeping his promise that he made with me, after the reaping. Again, please tell him that I miss him very much and am trying my hardest to come home alive.' Lastly, please stay strong for me, that is what I want the most.

I don't know if you have been watching the games on the television with mom at home, but if you have, you know what I am going through. My time is now up for me to stop writing. I love you very much. I will try to make it back alive. If I don't you are going to have to help mom, but I feel very strong about winning and hope for the best.

Please pray for me!~
With all my love~

Katniss

Katniss wrote this letter crying, but knowing that her family would appreciate it greatly. Now she has 30 minutes to settle down, and then the games begin… again.

No comments:

Post a Comment